Tuesday, September 28, 2010

The Fitbit... anyone ever heard of this thing?

Filming schedules are hectic. Most times when I work on films, I don't see anyone except those with whom I am working with (literally) for the entire shoot. There's just no time. And the one day off in a shooting week isn't really a day off. There are errands to run, people/locations to confirm things with or set things up with. The one day off is really a day off for actors, not us. And if I do get a partial day off... I sleep. This past week proved to be pretty busy and tiring, thought shooting hasn't started. This phase of filming, called Pre-Production, is almost as busy as the production itself, with many long nights and certainly long days but at least during Pre-Prod you get time off to have dinner with friends and ocassionally even a whole day off. I had a partial day off Saturday (I slept and caught up on some tv) and then a whole day off Sunday (which I spent having a "where is my life going, what the hell am I doing in LA" talk with my LA-roomie Gabriel, and then at the pool). I went to the pool to swim laps and to get a tan (workout + relaxation). I got a few laps in, and then all the young people of the community came down and we got drunk instead. I did mean to work out... just wasn't especially successful. Oops. That was relaxing in itself, so at least I accomplished that!

Soooooo... now you know a bit about what my life is like out here. My brother-in-law Alex mentioned this new tool on the market, the fitbit http://www.fitbit.com Has anyone heard of this thing or used it? It promises to "accurately tracks your calories burned, steps taken, distance traveled and sleep quality," though it admits it can't track certain calories burned for activities such as cycling because it's more of a pedometer-type tracker. Because of that I'm not sure how accurately it will track lifting, but you can also log your workouts, so maybe that will allow you to add in calories burned there. It also trackers how long you slept, whether you woke up a million times, etc. Sleep is also a tough commodity to come by when filming so this will be a good way for me to track how much I am really getting.

So, at this time in my life when I will rarely have time to get workouts in but still want to maintain a healthy figure, I'm thinking I'll try this. If I use this to track my activity level and my sleep, and then separately track my nutrition, I think I'll be in much better shape coming out of this project than if I do not do so. So, I plan on giving thsi a shot! It says it's backordered and won't ship till mid-October, so I have a bit of time before I get to try it out, but I think it'll be a good diea. This way I will on a continual basis be reminded of the necessity of sleep and exercise, and can see when it starts getting off track, so I can do something about it right away. Good idea??

Tuesday 9/28.

Morning workout. I didn't have much time but figured I'd go for a quick run/sprint session. About 1.5 miles, switching between sprinting at full pace and running/jogging pace. Worked up a good sweat, then did 45 reps sit up variations. Then, had breakfast and headed into the office :) Not a great workout, but I had to get something in.

2 comments:

  1. You sound crazy busy but still must be very cool (and rewarding) to be a producer! Awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. definitely crazy busy, but it's worthwhile. fun times ;)

    ReplyDelete