Monday, June 6, 2011

well i DID buy new running gear...

1pm-ish (forgot to write it down) - 4 oz turkey burger, 2 whole eggs. Some veggies. 2 c. coffee + cacao nibs with a bit of heavy cream and sugar. The cacao nibs were an interesting twist that I threw into the coffeemaker with the coffee grinds, but made the coffee tasty but extra bitter. Oh well. Good try, anyway. 1 T. almond butter.

2:45pm - 9.5 oz coconut water + put on my new CEP compression socks. They're hot pink... so even if they don't work I'm gonna look toally cute as I die running the longest distance I've ever run today.

4:30pm - I RAN A HALF MARATHON! I'm not even kidding. I jogged the first mile as a warm-up- in 10:14. Then I kicked it into gear and yet miles 2-4 were actually really tough to get into. Way tougher than usual because I had some severe tightness as I tried to flex or extend my right foot. SO tight it impeded my running and I had to stop frequently and stretch it out. Yikes. I wasn't sure I was going to be able to continue, so popped in my ACCEL gel because at this point I needed something to do besides stretching the damn right foot, and actually I think it helped my body push through somehow. Probably a mental thing, since accel gel isn't designed to improve flexibility of tight joints... whatevs - I would've tried anything to make the run better at that point! By mid-way through mile 4 I finally got into my run, felt good, and stuck to a pretty consistent pace between 8:30-9:30/mile and didn't need to stop again to stretch until I got to mile 7. Mile 7 felt like the hardest mile to run. I was just exhausted. Definitely the worst mile of the run for me. I wish I had had another ACCEL gel or something to eat or drink at this point of the run - I think I would've been fine after some added energy. Once I got into mile 8 the run got a bit easier, but then I realized that I was totally thirsty and dehydrated (so glad i read Born to Run and the Paleo Diet for Athletes b/c I knew that the salt crust that was forming all over my body meant that I was dehydrated, and needed water and salt). I found a locker room inside a golf course (yes, i snuck onto the golf course and no i do not feel the slightest bit ashamed of it), and drank some water from the water fountain. Aaaaand, I remembered needing salt in order to actually get rehydrated but wasn't sure how to get salt when there wasn't salt around... so I licked my forearms a few times. Again, totally serious here. They were covered in salt from my sweat drying up... I figured this was a good solution. Also, it made me feel a little bit like that guy who drinks his own urine in the desert - Survivor Man or something? - except waaay less gross. Miles 9-13.1 were just about finishing. I wasn't winded in those last miles, just had tired ass legs. Again, I think if i had refueled my body I woulda been fine.

I've never ran more than 6 or 7 miles before. I hadn't done ANY running-specific training, but I CrossFit at least 4-5 times a week. I'm not thrilled with my time, I definitely expected to go faster and I think the first 4 miles took maybe 40 minutes or so, which is way below what my pace should be b/c of the tightness and repeated stopping to stretch. The second half was slower than I wanted b/c I kept stopping to walk once a mile or so for 15-20 seconds not because I was winded but b/c my legs were toast. But, um...

I finished a half-marathon. On my own. On a Monday. For kicks.

I. RAN. a HALF. MARATHON.

I am ridiculously proud of that. I fucking love CrossFit.

2 comments:

  1. OMG ... love it. just love it

    "oh, i just ran a half marathon today ... you know ... for kicks"

    now that you've done that (and i dread running), i declare that you are officially crazier than i am ... just sayin :)

    ReplyDelete