Wednesday, June 1, 2011

North Central Regionals. BAM!

I don't even know where to begin when speaking about this past weekend's North Central CrossFit Regionals. What an amazing adventure this past weekend was. I got to...

spend five nights with two of my closest friends (the lovely and talented Ranison), who I've actually grown closer to since moving my ass out to LA...
watch one of my favorite people in the world, jonny Vu, step up and lead of one the biggest (and certainly The BEST) events I've ever been a part of...
cheer/scream/clap/support alongside my family (everyone from CFC) if ever I had a free heat...
cheer on the woman who, of all the people i've ever known, inspires me the most... E-Diesel, herself (seriously erin, you amaze and inspire me, and as soon as i am back in Chi on the regular -you, alison and i are going to do active and non-CrossFit things weekly!)...
surprise everyone by getting up to sing the national anthem for the biggest crowd of people i've ever sang for... i would've told you guys i sang before but it never came up... and maybe you know this about me, maybe you don't... but i'm actually kinda shy and don't share that much about myself... well, at least i used to be... i'm working on getting over that...
see gina bust out about a million double unders like they were nothing...
judge the WODs of some CF badasses I've watched in past years and aspire to WOD-like, for firebreathers like Stacie Tovar and Megan John...
scream like there's no tomorrow while watching George absolutely kill a 255# thruster (holy SHIT that's heavy)...
watch emily squash her box jump fears by not letting a little toe-stubbing get in the way of her crushing that wod...
see young Nate step up and fight for his right to be named one of the fittest men in our region (i can't WAIT to see what he can do next year)
witness stephanie and elisabeth conquer weights (95# snatch) and movements (muscle-ups and HSPUs) which were new to them...
catch kurt's focused give-it-all-he's-got row face from all the way across the hall...
see elisaBEAST a-kill-a-wod bust ass and fight her way to earn a place as one of the FIFTY FITTEST WOMEN IN THE WORLD...
watch glenn coach and support steph through the muscle-up wod like a true teammate...
read the most awe-inspiring article by our superman, Alex Nettey, that teaches us all what we are fighting for, how we can make it happen for ourselves, and reminds us not to let ourselves give up or give in... 

What I learned most this weekend is that I love my family. I love every minute of being with CFC, and I am incredibly proud to be a member of the greatest box out there. Yeah. I said it. And it's true. CrossFit Chicago is the most amazing community and I couldn't live without it. I am a life-long CFCer, no matter where I live, no matter what. If I open my own box I will STILL have a CrossFit Chicago bumper sticker and it will still be where my heart lies.

Which brings me to my last thing. One last and most important thing. Rudy Tapalla. You gave this to us. You started it all and you brought our community together. You trained us and taught us to love each other, push each other, support each other and it is because of you that we were together last weekend. I can not begin to thank you for what you have given to us. To me. For how you have changed my life forever. For the better. Your box is what got me through the darkest time in my life, and I will always be indebted to you. And now, when my life is happy and wonderful and full of goodness, CrossFit is still what carries me through and what gives me the most joy in my life. Thank you. Love you. Best. Coach. Ever.

4 comments:

  1. Awe Kerry, this is awesome! You need to send this to Bryce so he can post it on the CFC blog. Love you lots and lots! Can't wait to do active "non CrossFit things" when you come back! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are greatly missed.
    The purple font burnt my retinas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Kerry,
    I miss you. After reading about a lot of people's experiences at Regionals, yours really summed up the best of it all and put a tear in my eye because it is so heart felt and true. You may be shy about yourself but I strive to have a no-holds-barred attitude that you have (you know, like OHSing a ho and her pimp haha). You give your CFC family so much love and energy. Your confidence is stunning and beautiful (hello?!?! a beautiful national anthem in front of a large crowd!). Most of all, I love your never-give-up attitude and it inspires me to do the same. So you're coming back?? I can't wait :)

    Love,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great write up. I wish you would have posted on the blog on it!

    Kerry, I would love to take the credit for your life changes but you have created and earned it. You have to do some before and afters. Your transformation has been ridiculous!

    I know Cali is where your life brings you now but we will always be here for you!

    ReplyDelete