Tuesday, March 9, 2010

2k row - could've been better

2 k Row today. Finished 8:34.9 Prev 2k row was 8:39, so 5 sec PR.

I RUSHED out of the gate on this one. Had my iPhone and Rihanna's Shut up and Drive was the first song up. Sooo, I jammed to the song and I rowed. Fast. Stayed under 1:48 for the first 500m. What a mistake. I crashed and burned and the rest of my row was around 2:10. Super disappointing, but lesson learned - music is something new I'm adding into my training and so I've gotta work out the kinks. Also, I've been pulling 1:45 for my 250m and 500m rows for the past few weeks which got me a bit too excited about my improvement. Thought I could row at that pace and then slow to 1:55 for the remainder. Should've paced to go under 2:02 all the way through the row and no faster than 1:55 until the last sprint at the very end. Next time :)

Ended the workout with a bunch of HandStand holds, and a few HSPU to 2 abmats. Also scared the shit outta Mandie, Bryce, and Emmitt by trying to get my ass up on the wall on paralettes. It was NOT a successful attempt. The 2nd time though Emm and Steve pulled me up a bit and then I held on up there for a little while. Nice to change it up adn try something new, even if I suck at it :)

Then, played 6 games of vball. We came in second in our season. Wanted first obviously, but was okay getting beat by the team who took first. They were better than us, so I can accept that. Also, the captain of their team (I am making that up - who knows if he the capt was but he seemed in charge) invited me to go to the bathroom with him while we were waiting on Megan and Jason to get back from the bathroom. So, there's that.

Developed a supplemental workouts calendar to supplement my training with the things I want to focus on the most. Will include:
  • 1 full day of rest each week. FULL-ON REST. This is important if I am going to be able to continue to myself as hard as I want to with supplemental work and our regular programming.
  • 1 active rest day (bikram yoga and/or skills but no metcon or heavy lifts)
  • 1 day gymnastic work (pull-ups, muscle-ups, KTE, TTB, etc.)
  • 1 day OH work (OH lunges, HSPU, HS negatives, HS holds, OH squats)
  • 1 day Oly work (most likely this will be my day with Roger and Mike)
  • 1 day cardio/respiratory endurance work (row, run, mostly sprints but some long distances too, jump rope)
  • 1 day deadlifting with Emily
Sounds exhausting really, but I'm excited. I'm excited to have a focused plan set out, and I think it'll be good for me to learn to lay out programming for myself, as all coaches need to know a bit about programming so this should help me learn a new skill that will help me in my CrossFit future :)

Also talked to Bryce a bit about focus. I really wanted to push myself on the CF Total on Monday and was really proud of the numbers I put up. I had my headphones on and only focused on myself and I think I need to incorporate more of that focus into my daily training. Only way I'm gonna improve is to get serious about it... so we'll see where that takes me.
--
8:00am - 2 eggs; 3 1/2 oz. mushrooms; 1 cup coffee + 1/8 c coconut milk.
1:15 pm - 4 oz. steak; ~7 oz. mixed butter lettuce, sauteed asparagus & roasted yellow peppers (homemade so not soaking in oil), with 1/3 avocado, white truffle infused grapeseed oil & balsamic vinegar, black pepper and a shake of sea salt. Delicious. Anyone who doesn't like salads isn't doing it right. Amazing.
-Had some cashew/almond/macadamia nut butter today at some point as a snack. Not sure when :)
4:30 pm [Pre-wod] - 4 oz swordfish; 1/2 coconut cream larabar.
5:30 pm [Post wod] - 2 oz. skate wing.
6:30 pm [Pre-vball] - 1 oz. skate wing; 1/2 coconut cream larabar.
-During vball - 1 L water plus 2 bites of Jason's oatmeal raisin power bar.
10:15 pm - 3-4 oz. no salt rotisserie chicken; kale, roasted yellow peppers, handful raspberries with 1/4 avocado; white truffle infused grapeseed oil & balsamic vinegar

2 comments:

  1. You might be the first person I've seen that went for it so hard on this....which I can appreciate since you're capable of low splits! Food for thought - The fastest time on our team in a 6:56...this girl is a german beast who has been rowing for over 10 years. That would be a 1:43 split the entire time. And, shes over 6' tall. So, for you to be pulling 1:45-1:48 range is awesome, but really difficult to sustain for such a long distance.
    Start the first 15 strokes at a 1:48, then lengthen and pace yourself until the final 300m. That's when all of that power will really benefit you. I'm confident you can pull an awesome 2k after seeing some of your numbers :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Sarah! And great advice - I think I'll try and tackle the 2k row again soon to see how I can handle it now with smarter pacing. I think I can do much better. I'll be sure to take your advice and tell you how it goes!!

    ReplyDelete