Friday, May 13, 2011

what the F is IF?

Intermittent Fasting. I.F.

I'll be honest, I'm a non-believer. I think eating is how your body sustains itself and therefore skipping eating is stupid. That being said, I consistently weigh 145#. I generally stick between 142-148, but for the past month I've been between 148-153 and it's obnoxious. I look fine, not great but fine. My strength is at it's best and my metcons are actually kicking ass recently, but why the hell am I carrying around this extra weight? And I've been paleo for the past 2 weeks (minus a few cheats here and there) so what the fuck?

So Bryce posts this article about IF and shows how he really leaned out in a short timeframe and actually increased his snatch weight. I was immediately sold - his after picture is impressive - definitely the leanest I've ever seen him and he eats clean on a regular basis so if that's the result I can aim for/hope for/maybe possible achieve? I'm in.

And, the IF plan isn't acually that different from the way I'm eating now, it just compresses the eating schedule. The plan I'll be following goes like this:

Workouts days:

8/9 AM - Wake up. Have coffee/tea... something with caffeine.
5-15 minutes pre-workout: 10 g BCAA (branch chain amino acids).
Morning workout.
Within 1 hr post-workout: 10 g BCAA.
12-1pm: Breaking the fast. Start of the 8 hour feeding-window. Biggest meal of the day.
(If 2nd workout is done, it should be done sometime in b/w 12-6pm)
4-5pm: Second meal
8-9pm: Final meal before the fast begins.

Rest Days:

12-1pm: Breaking the fast. Start of the 8 hour feeding-window.
(If 2nd workout is done, it should be done sometime in b/w 12-6pm)
4-5pm: Second meal
8-9pm: Final meal before the fast begins.

The general rules I'm sticking to are below:
-Aim for 1200-1500 calories a day, but essentially as long as the majority of my calories are coming from protein I'm not going to get caught up in that.
-Last meal before the fast should consist of fiberous veggies and should be heavy handed on the protein. This meal must sustain me throughout the night and until 12pm. Could eat up to 40-50g of protein (though I think that number is based on a man's eating plan not a woman's so will just play with this until I find the right amount for me). Focus on slow digesting proteins like egg whites or casein protein.
-Workout Days:
    -Focus more on carbs than fat.
    -Post-workout meal should be the biggest meal of the day. If doing 2-a-day workouts, still ensure that larger meals are eaten post-wod.
    -One piece of fruit is allowable these days post-wod though I don't think I'll have much fruit. Prob stick to bananas/apples/and maybe the occasional berries
    -Stick to leaner meats.
-Rest Days:
    -Can have a little more fat than on workouts days, and reduce the carb intake.
    -Consume less calories than workout days.
    -Fattier meats like ground beef and salmon are okay on these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment