Monday, February 8, 2010

I said "Work!" and my muscles flipped me the bird

Skipped CFC today, b/c Amy and I had an oly lifting session with Roger and Mike tonight so wanted to be fresh. It was good thing actually, since Sunday's heavy ass thruster wod really did a number on my muscles and left me SUPER tight. I wasn't sore, but when I tried snatching tonight and then even holding in a clean grip but body just wouldn't cooperate. I've never experience this before. I knew what I needed to do, and my body knows what to do, but my muscles were so tight they just wouldn't allow my body to move that way. It sucked.

I still got some good skill work in though. My snatches were horrendous today (b/c of what i said before - literally my shoulders and hip flexers were so tight I couldn't physically get into position). The more I snatched, the worse my form got b/c my muscles just tightened up even more, even with Mike stretching me out. BUT, my bar path and set up was spot on. Couldn't move past 66# (30 kg) tonight due to that, which was disappointing but again, I know why I was failing, so to have improved my bar path was all I could do today. So, that felt good.

B/c my clean grip hurt too much, I jerked behind the neck which I had never done before. That was pretty cool. Worked on improving the technique of the split jerk. Had never had real specific instruction on this movement before so was pretty excited. Struggled getting a solid lock out (wiggled a bit in and out of my locked position) until Rog told me to loosen my grip on the bar when dipping/driving and tighten it when I hit the lock out. That significantly helped. Worked up to 99# (45kg) on the split jerk and stayed there awhile.

Tomorrow they post the wods for Sectionals. I'm anxious. I'm going to go take a bath, relax and then go to sleep. It's like Christmas - Santa won't come and leave me presents if I stay awake... except knowing the wods for saturday MAY not exactly be the same as getting a Barbie convertible. We'll see!!
--
Nutrition
8:45 am - 1 egg; 2 oz no salt turkey; 4 oz coconut water; 4 oz red chard (with a few bites of apple mixed in and coconut flakes); large iced coffee 1 t. raw sugar & coconut milk

12:45 pm - 4 oz. cod grilled with some coconut oil, fennel, dill, and rosemary on top; 9 oz of parsnips, rutabagas, mushrooms (which are not nightshades, ps), & onions sauteed in some avocado oil (delicious); 1 t. sunbutter; 4 fish oil, 1 vit C; started drinking on 3/4 L water

4:00 pm [Pre-oly meal] - 4 oz. tuna sashimi, 8 oz coconut water, handful of walnuts, macadamias, & dried cranberries

7:45 pm [Post-oly meal] - 6 oz beef filet; 2 cups cooked brocoli; salad with "Grecian" (why exactly wasn't it called Greek dressing??) dressing - olive oil, lemon juice, anchovies, capers; 1 cup coffee with a bit of whole milk and 2 white sugars

10:00 pm - 1/2 t. sunbutter (can you believe I ran OUT?!?! I really wanted a whole teaspoon.), 1/2 t. almond butter, 1/4 t. macadamia butter, 1 T. peanut butter. i KNOW. Peanut butter is the bad butter. But I had to have something... at least now that's gone too. Ridiculous. But I ran out of sb, tried the ab/mb which didn't satisfy b/c of the texture so tried the pb. It wasn't NEARLY as good as sb. i can't believe i feel that way.

10:45 pm - Sleepy Time tea :) and long hot bath. Mmmm.

2 comments:

  1. i'm not sure if this is right or not but sometimes when i warm up for a squat or snatch/overhead squat i activate that bottom hip area by staying in that position for about 5-10 extra seconds...just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i do too. I wasn't able to get into the bottom of my OH squat for awhile so just practiced holding myself down there for 15-30 sec intervals until my body allowed the position to happen. i started with those today.

    ReplyDelete