Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Sectionals wods announced... four days until we compete

Sectional wods for Saturday have been announced!!!!

Good news is, I can do all the movements and all the weights in the wods. 2nd wod is a 5 minute AMRAP Clean and Jerk @ 105... heavy as all hell, but I've been doing metcons with that weight for the past few weeks (I started doing the metcons at 95 but moved up to 105 so feel okay about that). Shooting for anywhere from 15-25. I've never done a metcon like this so just don't know where I'll be, but if I get one every 20 seconds I'll hit 15. That's the minimum I would like to hit.

The 1st wod is a bit trickier for me. It's 20-Thrusters, 20-SDHP, 20-Push jerks, 20-OH squats, 20-Front Squats, PLUS, while you're doing all those reps, every 60 seconds the clock beeps and you have to drop and do 4 burpees. I'm glad the wod starts with thrusters so I can be fresh for those and knock them all out in the first minute. Assuming I don't break or fail any reps I should be able to do that. SDHPs at 65 suck - we did these a week ago at this weight and they blew. I'd like to aim for getting a few in before my 1st set of burpees, and then after the burpees knock the remaining ones out before my 2nd set of burpees. The PJs, if I can manage not to fail any by pressing out accidentally, should be all unbroken and before my 3rd set of burpees. The next movement will be the toughest movement for me, so I need to be ready for it. The 20 OH squats. I would like to get in sets of 5. I know this is a hard movement for me and heavy at this weight, so will shoot for 4 sets of 5, but if I can go for more on any of those I will. I do not need to take more than 2 minutes for OH squats. I need to pound that into my head - 20 in 2 minutes or less. That's MORE THAN ENOUGH TIME so long as I don't get frustrated, I keep my breathing focused and really warm-up this movement enough to nail it. The 20 Front Squats... it's a low weight for me so should be totally light and the last time we did these it was 3 sets of 10 reps @85# so there's no real excuse for breaking on these unless it's broken by a set of burpees. So, that's my plan.

I came in tonight just to work on OH Squats, as it's my weakest movement. I worked up to 70#. I was able to repeat sets of 3 @ 65# maybe 5x, before moving up to the 70# bar, which is okay. Not ideal, but for today was okay. Tomorrow I'll do less warm-up work at mid-range weights and focus on sets of 3-5 @ 70# and see how that feels. I also intend on working in some SDHP work at 75 or 80#. To punish myself of course, and so I can realize that 65# isn't so bad - even if i hate the movement (ie KBS @ 53# made me want to die, but it also made 35# a cakewalk).

I taped my wrist for the OH squat work (per Roger's advice) but think I should've taped it tighter and maybe with stiffer tape. That's what Chris does anyhow, and it seems to work for him so I'll try again tomorrow, and maybe buy different tape to see how it feels.

I also worked tonight with Rudy for a bit on strict muscle-ups and then kipping muscle-ups. I hadn't gotten to work with Rudy in a long time, I missed you coach!! Those were fun, and I was pretty close (so close that after I tried a strict muscle-up, Bryce tried one. I'm pretty sure he was thinking, "Hell, if KERRY is that close I sure as shit can get one"). I feel like if I work on these once a week I'll be able to have them (at least one kipping or strict) in a few months.

There's just so much that I want to do it's hard to focus on any of the single things long enough to see huge improvements unless it's a lift (like cleans) that we do all the time... hmmm... maybe I should actually do something about that with this blog... like have a suck list with improvement deadlines for myself? And track progress of specific movements/skills/lifts that I want to improve? Ugh. Do I really need to assign myself more work just as I'm getting to the end of my sectional training?? Obnoxious. Unfortunately a good idea though...
--
Nutrition
10:00 am - 1 egg; 2 oz. filet of beef; 8 oz. onions, mushrooms, rutabagas, and a bit of eggplant sauteed in 1 T. coconut oil. Tasty, warm, and filling breakfast.

12:45 pm -  2 oz. cod; 2 oz. parsnips; 1/4 c. coconut milk poured over 6 walnut halves, 1 macadamia, a pinch of coconut flakes, ~12 dried cranberries, pinch of dark chocolate chips, 1/2 t. unsweetened cocoa powder.

2:20 pm - 2 T. almond/macadamia nut butter with some preserves spooned on top. Annoyed not to have sunbutter, but I have to cut back. I'm not buying it for a week (if I can manage that long). Maybe 2.

5:30 pm [Pre-skills work] - 4 oz. yellowtail sashimi, 8 oz. coconut water, a few walnuts/macadamias/dried cranberries

8:00 pm [Post-skills work] - 4 oz. salmon sashimi, 8 oz. coconut water

9:45 pm - 3 oz. cod; 9 oz. rutabagas, onion, mushrooms, red chard; eggplant sauteed in 1 T. avocado oil

3 comments:

  1. You're full of good ideas, nerd. Anyhoo! I am so proud of your determination and super hard work. You are going to nail this...it's already yours. I am so proud to be in a heat with you, though I wish we could be there to get into each others heads. Go Fighter Sisters!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I take bribes for the most footage time with camera ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kerry, you're going to do great! All your hard work is going to shine through in just a few days. Remember, this is going to be fun! :)

    ReplyDelete