Wednesday, February 10, 2010

You want me to nail myself in the chest?

Ugh. So, tonight was the last couple counseling session with Travis. Seemed kinda dumb to keep going when I've already moved out, and my lawyer's gotta call his lawyer... so tonight we agreed to stop going. But it was not a fun hour at all. I cried. Haven't cried in a long while, so that definitely caught me of guard. That was definitely NOT what I wanted to be doing the week of sectionals, but what are ya gonna do, eh? Went to the box immediately after and it took a little while to feel under control. We did some crazy push-up modification in the warm-up where I was supposed to nail myself in the chest. I have two things to say about that.

One. Sometimes I think the coaches have too much free time and make this shit up. Like pistols. Or one-legged deadlifts. Or, doing a push up and nailing yourself in the chest at the top. WHEN THE F AM I GOING TO NEED TO KNOW HOW TO DO THESE THINGS?!? ISN'T CROSSFIT ABOUT FUNCTIONAL MOVEMENTS???

Two. It is obvious to me that guys make up these fucking workouts. No woman creates a workout when she has to nail her chest into anything (ie chest to bar pullups, or Bryce's crazy chest-nailing push-ups). Hello? CrossFit has made them small enough already do I have to punish them by smashing them into things??

Regardless of today's smash-my-chest warm-up, I wanted to be there. I was happy to arrive at the box and see Rudy holding a box of shiny new Sectionals t-shirts (okay they weren't shiny but they were new and AWESOME and they put a huge smile on my face). After the hour I just had, the box was the only place I wanted to be... and I got there and was suddenly surrounded by some of my very favorite people. As usually happens at the box after a rough day, by the end of the pass-throughs all the frustrating/sad feelings had drifted from my mind and I was able to focus on lifting and sectionals and my new life since the split (which, by the way, is way better than my life pre-me-moving-out).

I had come in with the intention of doing a met-con, wasn't sure which one but wanted to get one in this week, but ended up just working on a few skills. Did some HSPUs, worked on stabilizing at the bottom of OH squats with light weights, and watched/cheered on people going through the Air Force wod.

Earlier in the day I got an amazing 90 minute massage today where the fantastic Ruby Room masseuse, Kimberlyn, stretched my body, got a bajillion knots out, released trigger points out the wazoo, and massaged my fascia (sp?) until I was nice and tender. After the massage my shoulders literally lowered and dropped back about 2 inches into the proper place. What a world of difference. I did the stretches that Mike taught me after the massage and got so much deeper into the stretches than I ever could before - I couldn't believe it. I'm including going to start including massage into my routine every two weeks. If I can get my muscles to stop locking up so I can get full range of motion I bet I'll be able to do much more weight. WHICH is obviously a goal of mine. She also suggested I include yoga into my routine once a week, though thought bikram might dehydrate my body too much which would make those trigger point harder to release. Too bad it's the only kind of yoga I can stomach. I'll just have to drink a gallon of coconut water beforehand (YES!!).

Well, I'm off to bed. It's 12:30 (wasn't I going to go to bed before midnight every night this week? haven't made it once), and I should rest. Tomorrow Amy, Emmitt and I leave for Sectionals. We're driving up a day early so we can be well rested and ENJOY the day tomorrow. I think we'll get manicures while in St Charles (Amy and I anyway - I'm pretty sure Emmitt's not gonna join us for that). OOOH and maybe go see a movie!! Mmm, a day to ourselves. I can not wait.
--
Nutrition

9:30am - 1 egg; 2 oz. filet; 6 oz. of rutabagas, red chard, & eggplant sauteed in 1/2 T. avocado oil; 1 shot worth of coffee (all that was left, sigh) 1 t. with raw sugar and coconut milk - basically slightly coffee flavored coconut milk; fish oil, vit. c.

12:00 pm - 1 c. herbal tea

2:30 pm - 1 c. herbal tea

4:30 pm - 4 oz. (low sodium) roast beef; salad greens, yellow peppers, rutabagas, 1/3 avocado, with 1 T. wild maine blueberry dressing; 1/8 c. coconut milk with walnuts, pecans, dried cranberries, & 1 t. unsweetened cocoa powder

8:00 pm [Post-skills] - 2 oz. filet

10:00 pm - 7 oz. chicken/apple salad (with olive oil, fennel, dried apricots, and lemon juice); 5 oz. spinach with garlic, marinated mushrooms, pine nuts; 1 T. cashew butter (YUM), 2 T. sunbutter

3 comments:

  1. "Coaches have too much free time and make this shit up". I love it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Road trip...no need to nail anything to your chest for that!

    ReplyDelete