Wednesday, January 13, 2010

2k row - not so bad after all

Nutrition:

8:30 am - 2 eggs, sauteed eggplant+peppers (not enough fat)


9:00 am - 8 oz. coffee + 1 1/4 t. raw sugar


12:15 pm - Moderately hungry. 3 oz. halibut, 5 oz lettuce + red peppers plus 1 T. Cindy's Kitchen Wild Maine Blueberry dressing (see bottom for nutritional info of dressing... not so bad, actually!!)



4:45 pm - Pre WOD - 4 oz. imitation crab (i know it's bad but I'm not throwing away the last 12 oz I have so am trying to finish it fast and then on to better meat!), 4 oz. steamed mushrooms (w/ garlic, dill, black pepper, sea salt), 2 t. sunbutter


7:45/8 pm - Post WOD - 4 oz. salmon sashimi + ginger + 1 serving coconut water.


9:45 pm - 4 oz. Whole Foods turkey fajitas mix (turkey, peppers, onions, spices, salt) + 5 oz. kale, shitake mushrooms, tomatoes, cucumbers, spices, canola oil + fresh squeezed lemon. This didn't look like a lot of food but I couldn't finish it. ~1 - 1 1/2 t. coconut butter/cream



--
Workout: 2k Row!
Time: 8:39


I paced it exactly as Bryce instructed. It was tiring, but I wasn't as worn out as I wanted to be at the end. I think I had more in me. I've never done a 2k row before and read the article Chris posted (Chris provides my personal library, which I appreciate because he just randomly posts exactly what I need to read) on how to pace a 2k. Then I asked Bryce what to aim for my splits and he said under 2:15, closer to 2:10 throughout. I counted the number of times I went above 2:15 (3x - 2:17 for one pull and then dropped back down, up to 2:18 once and dropped right back down, and then stayed at 2:16 for two pulls before getting back under it) and overall if my goal is to stay below 2:15 and I went above for only, what ten seconds, during the wod I think I managed it well for my first 2k. The last 500m I stayed closer to and below 2:10 and the last 250m I stayed close to 2:05. The article said not to go all out from the gate and to really force yourself to pace slower in the beginning so that you don't lose it later in the row, but in the beginning I had trouble staying around 2:10-2:15 and was anywhere b/w 1:51 and 2:05 for the first 250m until I was able to force myself to settle into a slower pace to ensure I got through it. I think I want to aim for sub 2:10 the whole way through next time I go, and around 2:05 for the first and last 500m, and maybe push for closer to 2:00 for the last 250m. In the middle it was tiring but not that painful. Not as bad as I expected it to be, which I guess is why I think I should've gone harder and faster. Next time.



Megan convinced me to do the row at 7 tonight with her so we could race against each other, which as always I find helpful. She's a great marker for me to compete against in workouts because we have different strengths/weaknesses. I tend to lift a bit heavier than her, but she has better form and she's faster than me in most metcons, so the combination makes for a good fight. She normally beats me in metcons, so it's exciting when I win. Like tonight. Even if it was only by 4 seconds. It was a great 4 seconds (sorry Megan, and thank you).


ALSO, I signed up for my Level I Cert today. Last wkend in Feb. In CA (because it's cold here and warm there) at Crossfit Endurance. Woo, CrossFit.


--

Cindy's Kitchen Wild Maine Blueberry dressing/marinade:
I found this in the produce section of Whole Foods - it's got cane juice (and sea salt) so isn't entirely paleo, but it doesn't have a lot of sugar plus it's a non-dairy and gluten-free dressing option. This is my favorite of the Cindy's Kitchen dressings I've tried but there are a lot of options - just read the ingredients list for each dressing/marinade as some have dairy/other bad stuff.



Ingred: organic high oleic sunflower oil, red wine vinegar, filtered water, light filtered cane juice, blueberry juice concentrate, lemon juice concentrate, sea salt, dried wild maine blueberries, vitamin E, rosemary extract


Per 1 Tablespoon (which is how much I use)

5g fat (~3 blocks fat)
5.5g carbs - 3g of that is sugar (~1/2 block carbs) 
I don't count this towards my carbs servings, but thought I'd point out how little is in here.

2 comments:

  1. Your killing me with this tiny font!!! Congrats on your row! Get comfy on that thing. Let's shoot for a sub 8:30 within 2 weeks! Good start on learning your pace!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, sorry. it was an accident. all better now.

    ReplyDelete