Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Active Rest Day

Nutrition (not bad today, though I cheated on paleo with a protein bar):

8:30 am - 2 eggs, eggplant + sauteed peppers with light oil

2:30 pm - 5-6 oz chicken breast, 5 oz. sauteed peppers/onions/portabellas/zuchini/squash

3:40 pm - Hungry (very unusual, lunch must not have had enough fat in it) 1 1/2 t. sunbutter + 1 1/2 t. forestberry preserves (berries + little sugar)


7-8:30 pm - 1/2 serving coconut juice
8:30 pm - Pre-workout - ThinkThin bar. Brownie Crunch. Delicious. Not Paleo (yes, Chris, I know), but I didn't intend on being at the box so long and I was going to go play volleyball which I couldn't do on an empty stomach!

10:45 pm - Post Workout/Dinner - 3 oz. halibut, 5 oz. jicama/blood orange/jalapeno salad with 1 oz. mango/red pepper/red onion salsa. Also delicious!

**
Today my back wasn't feeling great in the am, but is feeling much better now. I decided not to do the 2K row endurance wod today b/c I didn't want to sandbag the challenge by starting off with a back in poor shape. I iced it on and off when it was feeling like it needed it (after I woke up, after a 15 min walk, after sitting at my desk for too long, and now after I got back from 1 hr of volleyball). It doesn't hurt now but I figured I should probably ice it one last time before bed. Just to make sure it's good and that I didn't overwork it tonight.

I didn't CrossFit tonight, so I would call this an Active Rest Day. I was gonna work on double-unders but it felt funny in my lower back when I was repeatedly jumping up and down, so decided that I didn't have them tonight and should wait another day or so before doing anything too intense, and instead hung around to watch Joey do his CF Total. I did however leave the box to play volleyball for an hour. That felt great, and didn't hurt my back at all. I love playing ball the same week we do heavy deadlifts - my hitting and serving is so powerful those weeks! I thought serving/hitting/blocking might hurt my back a bit so starting off taking it easy, but it didn't hurt at all. I'm playing ball three times a week this "season" which, now that I decided to compete in sectionals seems like a lot, considering the amount of workouts I do in a week, but I really don't give a shit. Being young is about leaving it all out there, right? Plus, I need to improve my endurance/gas tank so what better way to do it than adding in a sport I love? Plus, this damn paleo challenge is going to require me drinking a lot less than I'd like, so I'd better fill up my evenings doing something more productive. Oh Effen, how I will miss you these next few weeks.

Also, not related to sectionals, but definitely related to CF... today was my first day a-coaching at the box. And I love love loved it. I can't wait to get my Level 1 and an OLY cert and maybe even a nutrition cert. I love CrossFit. I have to say - I'm going through what should be a really hard time in my life. And, while it can be difficult at times, I'm really happy. I love our box, I love the people at our box and I love having something to look forward to and to work towards every day.

3 comments:

  1. WOW!!! Awesome blog. I am honored that you quoted me. Now, thanks to Google Alerts I know about your awesome blog. Michael Halbfish

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael - thanks for reading! It is a great quote, a great article, and will serve as great motivation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES! You're young! Give it all you got! :)

    ReplyDelete