Sunday, January 10, 2010

Weekend workouts

Saturday 1/9/10

Bench Press 3-3-3+
70%/80%/90% of 1RM+5 (1RM = 110)
73/83/93# (x3 reps, failed on 4th)


Metcon (from NorCal CF Games Qualifier):
500 M Row
30 burpees (subbed 30 knee push-ups + 30 overhead lunges)
10 shoulder to overhead (95#)

I kept pace with my heat on the row, but finished did OH lunges and knee push-ups (I did these on my knees as Bryce instructed so that I would speed through them, not due to muscle fatigue/failure or b/c I was a wuss) before anyone else finished their burpees, so got to the bar for shoulder to overhead first. These took longer than I expected or wanted them to take, but Coach said to wait and not lift the weight until I was ready and committed. This is the first time I've ever been given that instruction in a WOD, so I took it seriously and took more breaths than usual. The jerks were broken 3-2-2(+1 fail)-2(+1 fail)-1. I was glad I did Rx'd, though it took a bit longer than I wanted it to. Finished about 6:52. I don't remember the exact time but I finished just after Megan and I am pretty sure it was sub 7. I'd like to do this wod again after I get my stitches out with burpees to gauge my time better. If I do it again I'd like to break the shoulder to overhead less, but it may be worse after burpees - who knows.


Sunday 1/10/10 (Active Rest Day) BEGIN PALEO CHALLENGE



Today begins the Paleo Challenge. I'd like to say I ate well today, but not really. I'm going to start tracking my food in this blog too.



9am - 2 eggs, 4 bites jicama/blood orange/jalapeno salad


10:30-1:30 pm - Drank coconut water (about 1/4 liter) while listening to the Paleo Challenge intro and then doing skills work



2:15pm - Whole Foods!!! The buffet there is amazing and today I fully appreciated it. 4-5 oz. pulled turkey+red peppers+onions (fajita meat); plus 10-12 oz of: kale salad, zuchini, squash, artichoke hearts, whole garlic cloves, cucumber+tomato salad. Delicious.


4:30pm - 3 t. sunbutter + 1 t. forestberry preserves (lots of berries plus very little sugar)


9:30pm - 3 oz halibut, 4-5 oz eggplant and yellow peppers sauteed in water + a little grapeseed oil

The problems with what I ate today are: 
-breakfast/pre-workout: no fat, not enough carbs. Also not close enough to my workout.
-no post-wod meal
-By lunch I was starving so ate more than I usually eat. Also, it was delicious. 
-no protein in my snack, which I justified at the time because i ate extra protein at lunch... but i know better. Also, too much fat, though most meals I lack fat so maybe once a day having too much fat is okay? probably only if it's pre-wod though and I'm doing a long/extreme workout.


Skills work:


Talked to Jonny about my grip for pull-ups. I'm over-gripping and gripping lower in my hand than he does (which is why i tear so often and so badly). Need to work on releasing a bit once I have my chin above the bar. The changed grip makes it tougher to string stuff together but I think that's just until I get used to it.


2 sets (Pull-ups 45 sec on/45 sec off): Got 10/13.
2 sets (Static hold pull-ups: chin/eye/head 20 sec on/20 sec off). Switched back and forth b/w palms toward me and away from me. Palms towards me KILLED my biceps. Never done those before. 1st set: 1st 20sec easy, 2nd 20sec burned like crazy from the palms away grip, 3rd 20 sec starting sliding down away from the height I should've been holding at. 2nd set: 1st 20 sec hard b/c I used the palms away grip but manageable, 2nd 20 sec started slipping downward at 15 sec, 3rd 20 sec started slipping at 12 and dropped at 15 sec.


Worked HSPUs. Didn't feel good on these today, this is the second time recently I've struggled on these more so than usual which is annoying. Strung together a max of 4 with 3 abmats.


Worked on Wall Ball form. 3 sets of 10 (rest in b/w). 1st set 14# unbroken to the red! Landed every one!! COUNT THAT JONNY!! 2nd set had to more to the wooden beam, and was nervous about throwing the ball through the hole, so switched to 12#, all 10 unbroken! 3rd set, disaster. Well, not disaster but frustrating. 6 unbroken, failed 3, got 2, failed 1, got 3. Not sure if I was tired or what caused the disappointing third round. And who was around watching my third round? Jonny darling. Of course. Why he wasn't around when I was nailing them?!



Worked with Amy on throwing myself against the wall for HSPUs. I have a hitch in my form (just like in wall ball) where I lose all my power. I'm not sure why in multiple movements I stop myself from using my full body strength and resort to only using arms- it's dumb. I think I worked through the hitch with Amy, but I guess we'll see if I can do it tomorrow sans hitch.


Had a stuffy nose all day today. Got worse after dinner. Took stinging nettle and quercitin - hope that helps so i can avoid cold medicine. Also, I think I might have a fever. Chicago winters are going to be the death of me. Going to bed early tonight (it's 11pm now), so expect 8-8 1/2 hrs of rest. Hopefully that plus 2 aleve will clear the fever/sick feeling and I'll be better tomorrow.

4 comments:

  1. Don't worry Kerry, I'll be around to count the wall balls for ya.

    I just thought of something in terms of your pull-up grip. I still think you're overgripping, but the reason why you can't have the bar higher in your palm when compared to me is that I have larger hands so I can get away with it and not feel the same pain you experienced while trying my grip position. I believe relaxing the grip a bit will help prevent the skin rolls and eventually reduce tears.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I go with a monkey grip on the pull up bar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no Kerry, don't get the sickness I have! It really puts a damper on trying to workout. Rest up darling. Hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to be overgripping - Rudy says it every time we talk about pull-ups - I just couldn't figure out how to relax the grip until yesterday. I still resort to the death grip on longer sets or at the end of a set but I plan to work on that.

    Next time I do WallBall I'm having you come over. You have to see that I've made progress!! Also I think I'm gonna switch it up to Amy's 20# ball method once I get can 3 sets of 10 unbroken without missing one.

    ReplyDelete