Thursday, January 21, 2010

Bikram Yoga!


Today I had a very active rest day. I played vball from 6:30-7:45, then took a bikram yoga class (hot yoga) from 8-9:30. VB was fine  - played with people I don't know (Jason's friend from work and his friend's friends) who do a weird ass rotation with four and sometimes five people receiving the serve (WHY?! so we can be crowded and manage to cover LESS of the court?!) in a trapezoidal fashion. But whatever, vball is vball and it was still fun. Had to leave a stitch early to make my bikram class (which Amy and Erin C ditched... j/k i didn't mind going alone).

Bikram was AMAZING. I used to go often before I started CrossFit and was just terrible at it. I didn't have the strength to hold the poses long enough or the flexibility to get as far into the poses as I would have liked. I enjoyed it though - it was intense and would just exhaust my body and I found that type of yoga to be the only type relaxing for me. Bikram is like the crossfit of yoga - super intense - at my old studio they used to say "if you feel like you're going to die then you're doing it right." Tonight though... what a difference. My flexibility is very improved, i got into positions I could NEVER get into before, my stability was fantastic,and my endurance was well beyond what it had been before. When I left I felt SUPER relaxed, like all my tension and all the toxins in my body had melted away during yoga and I was left peaceful and whole. And, hi, does anyone believe this is me talking? I don't think I've ever said I felt peaceful, but I do have to say I feel amazing. I am going to bed early tonight and I am going to enjoy it. After I ice my back. The lower back is hurting again. Stupid back. I want a new one.
--
Nutrition:
Busy morning. I forgot to eat breakfast. Threw off the timing of my eating all day.
11:30am - 1 T. sunbutter

12:45pm - 4 oz. pan seared marlin (delicious), 4 oz. mixed greens with 1 t. oil + balsamic vinegar, 1/4 avocado, a few bites watermelon/grape/honeydew salad, 8 oz. coffee with 2 raw sugars

5:20pm - chocolate tea with coconut milk and 1 t. raw sugar

6:00 pm [Pre-wod] - 3 1/2 oz. grilled catfish, 4 oz. sauteed (in coconut oil) kale + eggplant + yellow peppers with lemon juice, 1 T. coconut cream

1 serving Coconut water consumed during vball game and in b/w game and bikram)

10:00 pm [Post-wod] - 1 serving coconut water, 2 1/2 oz. Dominoe's chicken kickers (I know, but I forgot to bring protein so got stuck with this)

10:45 pm - dinner - 1 1/2 oz. chicken kickers, 2 T. sunbutter, 20 fresh blueberries
I wouldn't normally have Dominoe's anything, but I forgot to bring protein with me for post-wod so had to eat what I found in Travis' fridge when I stopped by to feed his cat. It was either that, pizza, or cheesy bread. I think I made the right choice.

4 comments:

  1. Yea! I'm so glad you enjoyed the class. You really do feel so whole after...that's a great way to put it. Truly sorry to have ditched you but the 8.5 hours of sleep felt amazing. Glad you felt amazing too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may have to try this bikram thing out. If I have to wear booty shorts and a half cut tank top, I'm out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Jonny - You should! You don't have to go the 80s style half tank route (men should not wear tank tops... ever), but I would highly recommend wearing as little clothing as possible. You will leave as wet as if you just stepped out of a pool. I am not exaggerating.

    Most guys wear some version of short swim trunks. Pretty short, I'd say, since you want your thighs exposed for some of the movements.

    The girls are in basically bikini coverage yoga outfits and are all sweaty and hot. And the whole front wall is a mirror so you can simultaneously work on your postures and check out everyone in the room. Just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry Kerry... just couldn't do Bikram after that amazing massage. I was already feeling like I could pass out and it was only 5pm!

    I definitely would love to join you in the next couple of weeks... sounds amazing!!

    ReplyDelete