Monday, January 11, 2010

CrossFit Total + me = Ice Pack on my back. Sigh.

Ate well today - 

8:45 am - 2 eggs plus sauteed eggplant/peppers with light oil

2:30 pm - 8-9 oz salad (assorted greens, roasted rep peppers,  1/3 of an avocado, green onions) with 4 oz chicken, 1 oz pancetta, light vinaigrette dressing


5:00 pm [Pre-wod meal] - 4 oz imitation crab meat (not a great option as it's fish with sugar and some soybean additives, but high in omega-3s), ~3/4 serving of coconut juice, 2 teaspoons sunbutter

During WOD drank water + ~1/3 serving coconut juice



9:00 pm [Post-wod meal] - 4 ox imitation crab meat, ~1/2 serving coconut juice.

10:45 pm - Rest of salad from lunch. ~ 2-3 oz. chicken, plus greens and red peppers. No avocado left, so had a teaspoon of sunbutter for my fat.



The CrossFit Total was today's workout - 1RM Back Squat, Strict Press, Deadlift. Score = the added weight of all three max lifts. Goal was a score of 501 - which would be 1# more that all my current PRs. I did not meet that goal. I matched my PRs on Press and DL, but missed my BS PR by 10#. We'll be doing this WOD again in eight weeks at the conclusion of the Paleo Challenge. At that time I will match all three prev PRs and I will PR in at least one lift. Tonight I had BS-165#, Press-85#, DL- 240# (total=490). I've decided today not to set a number goal in mind for next go around. It will depend on how I am feeling that day and how much work I've put in to improve these lifts over the next 8 weeks. I'm not going to call out a goal now as I think that trips me up sometimes. I'm going to feel it out that day and see what I can perform.




Also, I have a tendency to avoid the truth. Not lie (as I'm TERRIBLE at lying), but avoid things that I know are true but don't like... such the fact that I am not 100% tonight, though I pushed as hard as I could and gave it everything I had. I had a fever last night, and though it went away by the morning (took 2 aleve before bed) that generally means I'm getting a psuedo-cold. Thanks to paleo, I don't seem to get full-blown colds as I used to, just cold-like symptoms (cough, fever, and stuffy/runny nose) over the course of a week that make me weaker but not incapacitated. I have had a stuffy nose for a day and a half now, and can expect to have it for a few more days if I don't suck it up and take some real medicine. I am gonna try 6grams of vitamin C every 6 hrs as suggested by my homeopathic aunt starting tomorrow (if i manage to get to the store and buy some). I was extra sleepy yesterday after our afternoon workout on Sunday and ended up taking an hour nap (I haven't taken a nap in months), plus this morning I stayed in bed an extra hour, giving me a full 8 hrs of sleep last night so I had hoped that would represent well in my workout today but c'est la vie. I need to remember that getting extra sleep doesn't automatically make me stronger, in this case it's actually a symptom that I'm currently a bit weaker than usual due to my pseudo-cold so require more sleep than usual.


I tried REALLY hard to hit 250# on my DL and got most of the way up but just couldn't get my hips locked. I hurt my back trying to force it and left the box unable to stand-up completely straight without pain. Also walking hurts. And stairs for sure. I've been icing it for about 20 mins, will take it off for 20, will ice it for 20 again and then plan to go to bed. Hopefully that will do the trick so I can get my 2k row in tomorrow. If I have to take a rest day because of attempting that last effing DL and failing I'll be super annoyed. Especially because I got my stitches out (while at the box actually by Dr. Anjali Thawani) which means I can jump and double-under... which is what I would've done tonight post-CF Total if I hadn't been in pain. Damn DL.

2 comments:

  1. Kerry, take care of that back and rest up! Hope you get to feeling 100% ASAP!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you're feeling better this morning, both with the back and the pseudo-cold!

    ReplyDelete