Saturday, January 2, 2010

I don't always make the best decisions...

Well... I'm officially an asshole. Yesterday I was at a bar with some CFCers and wanted to leave and head over to the box for my first WOD of the year. We were watching the Rose Bowl and they were trying to convince me to stay instead of workout... they suggested I do ring dips on two chairs, or Handstand Push-ups against the wall, or (the best solution) box jumps on one of the booths "Here, try this one... it's about 24 inches" Randy oh-so-sweetly exclaimed.

A) It was NOT 24". Not sure how high, but higher than that. My max BJ is 33 1/2", so were it actually 24" I would have cleared it easy.
B) I was wearing snow boots. With a 2 1/2" heel.
C) I was completely sober.

D) Randy cleared it.
E) Did I mention I'm an asshole? Some guy passed by us, looked in awe first at Randy and then at me walking over to the booth, and said "Can YOU do that?!" "Probably" I said.


Nope! I smashed the shit out of my knees on the way down instead. It hurt, though, not as bad as I always thought it might hurt... so that was a plus. And, bigger plus, it didn't make me fear box jumps, which I thought it might. I didn't check to see if I cut myself, I just cursed, rubbed it, and left for the box. I wasn't missing my workout now!

Back Squats 5-5-5+ and then a metcon- 3 rds: 25 20" box jumps, 15 front squats at 70# (40% of back squat 1RM). 1st round my shin throbbed so bad I wanted to cry (but didn't of course... there's no crying in CrossFit) the throbbing made it difficult to string together longer sets of BJs and FS, but the 2nd and 3rd rds were more manageable. 

Rd 1: BJs sets of 2s & 3s, FS 5-5-5
Rd 2: BJs sets of 2s & 3s & 4s, FS 10-5
Rd 3: BJs not sure of the break out but only stopped 3 times so waay better then the other rds, FS 7-8

I did focus a lot on form during my BJs - made sure to open fully at the top of each jump. After the wallball incident I don't need any more "does not counts!"


The throbbing was a pain I hadn't ever experienced during a workout so it just took some time to learn to manage the pain, accept it, and push through it. I think it was pretty stupid to continue to do box jumps and worsen the wound with continued aggravation (I probably wouldn't have needed stitches if I had just given my leg a rest after I cut it), HOWEVER, one of the things I'm trying to learn how to push through the pain and not allowing myself to slack or give up. Mentally, I think I needed to endure it to see what that felt like.



Now of course I have a big ass gash on my right leg, three big blue stitches, and can't double under (did I mention I just got my very own Buddy Lee jump rope for Christmas that arrived in the mail yesterday) or box jump for at least one or two days, and should be "taking it easy" though I don't expect I'll be doing that. The nurse said as long as I wait two days the skin should have started healing back and it's not too likely I will split the stitches open after that point. The doctor told me to lay off workouts for 10-14 days. I'm obviously ignoring him and going with the nurses plan... though I will pay attention and try not to do things that exacerbate the injury or stretch the skin too much.

Rudy of course wanted me to take photos of my awesome leg (it was really gross - fat/tissue/tendon poking out through the wound and some blueish/grayish discolored skin that the doctor said he might need to cut off because it was dying... ewww) but I forgot. I did take some photos of my stitches though, so, Rudy, these are for you.


 



 My awesome blue stitches...












 The HUGE amount of bandages Dr. Anjali put on me (that I still managed to bleed all the way through through)



  Both legs (why is my right leg so much worse off than the left??). Also, please notice I am wearing non-matching socks. Awesome.








 Tiny baby cut on my left leg (so it didn't feel left out)




 Guess I'll be back at the box tomorrow... and not today :( Happy 2010, everyone. If this is any indication of what this year holds in store for me it will be a hilarious year. I'm looking forward to it.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome post Kerry! The pictures are like icing on the cake. This is a warning to all of you that try to do booth/bar jumps!

    Hey what's up!?!?! I get no love no link to my blog on the right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, sorry rudy! you're back on. you're on top. most important!!

    ReplyDelete